Being involved in a car accident can be scary and can cause serious injuries to all of the parties involved. Chances are that after the accident, you are most likely confused as to what you should do.
There are certain steps that you should take after a vehicle collision. The steps outlined in this section will help you do all that is legally required of you, as well as gather key evidence should the accident case eventually have to go to court.
- Stay Calm: Although it may be extremely difficult to do, staying calm will help you to assess the situation, check on your passengers and passengers in other vehicles, and make sure that they are all safe. If necessary, call 911 and request medical assistance.
- Call the Police: It is vital that you call the police so that you can obtain a police report detailing the incident. If another driver ever offers to settle with you in lieu of calling the police, do not agree to do so. Some injuries from car accidents may take time to emerge, and if so, you will need to have police documentation to protect yourself.
- Gather Information: Make sure to have all necessary information such as your driver’s license, proof of insurance, and registration ready before the police arrive. It is also critical that you take pictures of the other vehicle(s) involved and their license plates.
- Exchange Insurance Information: Ask the other driver involved in the accident for their insurance information. You may either take a picture or write it down as a reference, in case you need it later. The police will also have this information listed in their report.
- Call Your Insurance Company: If any vehicles were damaged as a result of the accident, you need to contact your insurance company immediately. They can properly instruct you as to what to do next and where you should take your vehicle to have it repaired. If the other driver’s insurance company calls you at a later time and asks you for further information, refer them to your insurance company.
If you have been involved in a car accident, be certain to contact an attorney immediately. Our attorneys can explain all legal rights as well as all of your available options. Contact our law office at (410) 484-0400 and schedule an appointment today.
Should I Call a Doctor After Being in a Car Accident in Maryland?
If you begin to experience any type of pain or physical discomfort, you should be examined by a doctor immediately. Any delay in seeking treatment could give the insurance company a reason to try to deny compensation for your injuries. Be certain to keep accurate records of all of your visits to the doctor and medical expenses. It is essential that you do not delay in seeking treatment for your injuries. Also, be sure to follow all medical advice that the doctor gives you.
Why Should I Contact a Car Accident Attorney After being in a Car Accident in Maryland?
The aftermath of a car accident can leave you feeling anxious and full of uncertainty about the future. Our attorneys can help you file a claim against the other driver’s insurance company and represent you if the case should have to go to court. If you caused the accident and there are disputes regarding liability, we can also assist you through the legal process.
Contact our law firm today and make an appointment to speak with one of our car accident attorneys by calling (410) 484-0400 and scheduling a free case review. We look forward to representing you.