Truck Accident Lawyers in Pikesville, MD Representing Victims of Commercial Vehicle Accidents
As the population of the country increases, so does the need for more consumer goods. As this demand for goods rises, the result is that there are more commercial vehicles sharing the roadway with regular passenger vehicles.
As the number of commercial vehicles increases, so does the probability of more accidents occurring. Along with the increase in the number of trucks on the road, there has also been a substantial increase in accidents due to distracted driving, such as the driver texting or simply being on the phone. In addition, driver fatigue is a serious problem, as many drivers are deficient in the amount and quality of sleep that they get before their driving period begins.
If you have been involved in an accident with a truck or some other type of commercial vehicle, contact the Law Offices of Alex Poberesky, P.A., by calling (410) 484-0400 and schedule a free consultation with one of our knowledgeable attorneys, who can review your case and help determine your legal options going forward.
What are the Most Common Causes of Truck Accidents?
There are many factors that could come into play when it comes to what factors caused a truck accident. Some of the most common include:
- Distracted Driving: The driver could have been texting and driving or even engaged in conversation on the phone that distracted them from paying attention to the road.
- Driver Fatigue: Commercial truck drivers are often deficient in the amount of sleep that they get. As a result, they are often sleepy or fall asleep while driving.
- Tire Blowouts: Often, tire blowouts can be caused by improper or poorly maintained equipment. Tire blowouts are extremely dangerous and can cause significant injuries, especially if you are in a vehicle traveling next to the truck when the blowout occurs.
- Weather conditions: Weather conditions can make it difficult for a driver to see and may cause them to lose sight of the roadway or traffic around them.
What Should I Do First After being Injured in a Truck Accident?
When you are driving on the roadways, you most likely do not even contemplate being injured in a truck accident. However, if you are injured, there are certain steps that you should take immediately.
- Call 911 and be sure to obtain a copy of the police report. The report will have vital pieces of information, including names and statements of witnesses, the contact information of the officer, and the officer’s opinion as to who was at fault for the accident.
- Collect evidence at the scene, such as photos and license plate numbers, and write down what happened.
- Exchange personal information, such as your name, with the other parties who are involved. In addition, by law, you are required to exchange insurance information with the other driver.
- Obtain contact information from witnesses. You should also request that they stay and give a statement to the police.
- Obtain medical assistance. It is extremely helpful to your potential case if you have a medical report stating that any injuries you have are a result of your accident.
- Speak with a qualified truck accident attorney who can help you understand your legal rights and options.
How Long Do I Have to File a Truck Accident Claim in Maryland?
According to Maryland state law, you have up to three years from the date of the injury to file a claim. If you have been involved in an accident with a commercial truck, you need to contact a Pikesville personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Our attorneys can help to gather evidence, take witness statements, conduct depositions, and file legal paperwork on your behalf.
Even though it seems like you have a comfortable amount of time in which to gather evidence, memories of the witnesses may fade over time, and some witnesses may even re-locate, making them difficult to find and interview later. Taking into account your personal circumstances, it is still advisable that the sooner you file a claim, the better off you will be in the future.
If you are unsure how to proceed after being involved in an accident with a commercial vehicle, contact the Law Offices of Alex Poberesky, P.A, by calling (410) 484-0400 and schedule a free consultation with a member of our legal team. We look forward to serving you in your time of need.