Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Pikesville Helping Injured Motorcyclists
When you are out riding your motorcycle, most likely you are enjoying being out in the fresh air and the open road. Chances are, you are not considering the possibility of potentially being involved in a motorcycle accident.
Statistics show that motorcyclists are 5 times more susceptible to the risk of being injured in an accident. Of the estimated 9 million vehicles on the road in the United States, only 3% of them are motorcycles. However, motorcycle riders are more vulnerable than in other motor vehicle accidents because they do not have the same level of protection as offered in a car.
You may be facing a serious threat to your standard of living due to all of the high medical bills and other costs that you have had to pay as a consequence of your accident. You may have to deal with the emotional trauma that is very hard to overcome.
If you have been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident, you need a skilled professional who can explain your legal rights and your options going forward. Our law firm is committed to helping you reach a potential financial settlement.
What are the Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
There are many dangers that motorcycle riders face daily when they are on the road. Some of the most common dangers are as follows:
- Speed or Alcohol Use: Statistics show that about half of all motorcycle accident victims sustained injuries due to excessive speed or alcohol use.
- Car Making a Left-Hand Turn: When a vehicle other than a motorcycle makes a left-hand turn, this is when motorcyclists are in the most danger of being injured. Almost half of all motorcycle accident cases involve the other vehicle turning left.
- Lane Splitting: This involves motorcyclists driving between two lanes and is illegal in all states. One reason for an increased risk to the motorcycle rider is the fact that lane splitting puts the rider very near other vehicles.
- Road Hazards: Due to the basic design of motorcycles, they are less stable than a car and smaller than other vehicles on the road. As such, they are at a greater risk of being involved in an accident due to uneven lanes, potholes, road construction, and slick roads caused by rain and oil.
- Driver Fatigue: This type of issue is common in the very early morning or late hours of the day. Incredibly, when there is not always a great deal of traffic on the road because of the time of day. Some of the other factors that contribute to driver fatigue include working a night shift, frequently having to drive at night, averaging less than the recommended eight hours of sleep, and having a generally poor quality of sleep.
If you have been injured in a crash due to another driver’s negligence, you may be able to recover compensation for your injuries. Contact the Law Offices of Alex Poberesky, P.A. at 410-484-0400 and schedule an appointment with one of our motorcycle accident lawyers. We can discuss all of the factors that surround your potential case and work on a strategy that is suited for your personal needs and circumstances.
What are the Most Common Types of Injuries That Motorcyclists Sustain in an Accident?
Motorcycle riders face an additional level of harm when out on the roadway simply due to the fact that they are out in the open with nothing to protect them but their helmet. Some of the most common types of injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident include the following:
- Road rash, or damage to soft tissue caused by sliding across the roadway.
- Serious joint injuries or breaks sustained to the shoulders and pelvic area.
- Concussion and brain damage, are also known as traumatic brain injury. This is one of the greatest risks that a rider faces, which is only aggravated by not wearing a helmet.
- Biker’s Arm, this type of injury is sustained when nerves in the upper arm are damaged. As a result, this can cause permanent paralysis.
- Facial Disfigurement is caused by extreme impacts to the chin.
- Spinal Injuries can cause paralysis or other serious mobility issues.
- Whiplash generally will manifest itself immediately after the accident occurs or at most 24 hours after the accident took place. However, in some cases, the symptoms associated with whiplash may take a few days to become evident.
- Internal bleeding can be a very dangerous result of a motorcycle accident. If the internal hemorrhaging is not stopped, then the accident victim could very well die quickly.
How Can a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Pikesville, MD help me recover compensation?
When you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, most likely you are experiencing a tremendous amount of pain and unable to work or at least work at full capacity. Our motorcycle accident lawyers have extensive experience and are highly skilled in handling these types of personal injury cases in Pikesville.
In the state of Maryland, there may be a short amount of time that you have to file a claim. Depending on the type and extent of your specific injuries, you may be able to file for financial compensation based on economic and non-economic losses.
Economic losses refer to the expenses that you pay after you have been injured, such as lost wages incurred from time lost at work, lost earning potential due to an inability to work, and any hospital bills that your insurance does not cover.
Non-economic losses refer to mental anguish, pain, suffering, or even physical impairment that you have suffered as a result of the accident, all of which apply to past and future situations.
It is extremely difficult to determine how much financial compensation you may be able to recover. There are a number of factors that must be considered when negotiating a settlement. The attorneys at the Law Offices of Alex Poberesky, P.A., will work hard to potentially recover the maximum compensation that is appropriate for your case.
Motorcycle accidents can be one of the most difficult types of accidents to recover from due to the high degree of injuries that can be sustained. Our highly qualified attorneys recognize that this is a difficult period of your life. We are here to help you. Call the Law Offices of Alex Poberesky, P.A today at 410-484-0400 and schedule a free consultation.